Good Advice from Brad

Good Advice from Brad
"Let me think about this for a minute!

Need some Advice?

What gives?

Need help with something? Don't know what to wear on a date? Wonder if you should use a comma or not. Should you dump him? How can I run my best race? Should we pull the plug? How do I keep from getting so nervous before I race? What about this perm? Should I wear socks with these Teva's? Just email me and let me what kind of advice I should give.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Freaky Roomates

Dear Brad, I have recently moved to a place where I share my living space with 5 girls who I am unfamiliar with. For the most part, they are really nice. We don't seem to have problems with like catfights or anything...yet. However there is one roommate who is very...abnormal. She freaks out about every little thing and takes it as a personal offense. One night she got mad at me because the sink was dripping and I was the last one to use it (how the heck would she even know that?!), she calls her mom about every homework assignment and gives her a play by play. And she has zero tolerance for pain (she went to a physical therapist when her hands got tired from typing...). These abnormalities aren't TOO bad. I mean, I can easily brush off her little freak outs about dripping faucets, I don't take that personally. And seeing as I'm thinking of becoming a PT, I don't mind the fact that she gives them steady business. The problem is that SHE does things that if I did, she would way more than freak out at me. For instance, I came home today and noticed that her hair dryer and straightener were on my bed. My first thought, "ew, does she like, do her hair on my bed?" Then I realized that her straightener was ON and had been all day! I'm pretty sure that could have burned my quilt. I don't feel like that is an acceptable behavior. But when I was irritated by the fact that her hair tools where on my bed and as hot as can be, she acted quite offended that I would call her out on it. The thing is, I want to be polite, but I also want to be respected. But if I say nothing, nothing happens and if I say something, nothing happens and she thinks I'm the bad guy. I don't care if she's weird, she thinks I'm weird too. It's just that when her weirdness overflows onto my things...that isn't ok. I don't like finding half-eaten plates of tofu on my desk. I still have like 8 months of this and transferring living quarters isn't really an option at this point. What do I do?

Jessica- Provo, UT

First things first. Begin by writing up an official declaration of war. And then run down to Home Depot and buy some 2 x 4's and plywood. Divide your room in half. Once this nut case steps foot on your side, hand her the declaration of war. Sure, she may balk at this declaration, but that's not your problem...she is now, officially the enemy.
Then offer no mercy for the rest of the semester, leaving the tap on any time you want. Dirty dishes in the sink? Not your problem either. "Oops! Her hair gel is mixed with glue!" Did you do that? who cares. This is war baby! and treating your apartment as such will bring joy to your Freshman year.
OR
You can TRY to make the best out of a bad situation. Trust me, there is nothing I hate worse than someone who makes a big deal out of nothing, or is all up in my grill about my bees wax! But you need to realize this is her problem. You will not change her. And you have a choice. 1: Be annoyed all semester. or 2: Try and work it out. If it gets worse you may need to sit down with her and talk about it. You can tell her your concerns and she can cry about it... I mean, express hers. Point out that a dripping sink is not a big deal. When the sink is dripping acid on babies, then she can come cry about it to you.
She is going to do stuff that bothers you. You choose to let it bug you. Instead of it bugging you, find the humor in it. It is funny she calls her Mom over everything. The play by play is funny. Try laughing to your self. Her doing annoying things will only get more annoying unless you find the humor in it.
You are going to deal with any people in your life that will drive you nuts. They can either ruin your day, or give you a chuckle. I had room mates that drove me nuts. My first one in fact (Pictured below) lives in infamy. Some of my room mates and I still laugh about it. We turned what he did into something funny to us. And we have had years of smiles because of it. (Ask me about him sometime. Trust me, you will laugh.)

The Boaz- "Wanna Grapple?!?!
(Picture taken WITHOUT strict or written permission from Jeremy Boaz and was used in the "Learn how to wrestle" flyer placed throughout the campus of BYU-Idaho.)

But I am not trying to act like we didn't have little acts of war from time to time. In fact, those acts of war are some of the funnier things we talk about.

This is your freshman year for Heaven's sake. Don't let a crazy room mate screw it up for you.


ROOMMATE DRIVING YOU NUTS TALKING ABOUT HIS SINGING PROWESS?

Talk him into putting on a show in your apartment.
Name your apartment the "Show Boat Theater" and get "The Magnet Man" to be your headliner.

Have him put on a "great"...or a show!


Earn yourself so extra cash selling tickets to his show by telling people it is for a business class. And then sell out your apartment.


1 comment:

joeheywood said...

Yah, but how's she going to Stir the Ice Cream? She'll have to hire out for that, unless....