Good Advice from Brad

Good Advice from Brad
"Let me think about this for a minute!

Need some Advice?

What gives?

Need help with something? Don't know what to wear on a date? Wonder if you should use a comma or not. Should you dump him? How can I run my best race? Should we pull the plug? How do I keep from getting so nervous before I race? What about this perm? Should I wear socks with these Teva's? Just email me and let me what kind of advice I should give.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Afraid of the night?

i am in desperate need of some advise brad....it's my daughter......she is 8 years old....and the poor little girl is scared to death of the wild animals she hears at night....she says it's animals that don't even exist....she doesn't want me to shut the door now and is pretty scared of her room.....i think we have traumatized the poor girl....what should i tell her....how can i explain where these noises are coming from?

Emily - Ogden (Greatest city in the World) , Utah

Emily, I have heard this all too many times. But see, kids are afraid because they think they should be. Here is a poem I wrote me kids.

Night Time

by Brad Anderson

1/6/2005



Night time isn't scary.

It's just different. That is all.

Although it might be spooky

when you're young and kind of small.

In a lot of ways it's better

than the day when sun is out.

I know a couple of those things

I'll tell you all about.

In the day time you can't see the stars.

and they are all so neat.

I like to watch them twinkle.

That is such a special treat.

It looks like they are winking.

It's a show that's just for me.

Sometimes they run across the sky,

so everyone can see.

And the moon is the Sun's brother,

'cept he isn't quite as bright.

He likes it when I come outside

to look at him at night.

The Moon will change his shape.

I like it best when he is round.

It looks like he's a ball of cheese

that's high above the ground.

It's not scary when it's dark out,

it's just different 'cause you can't see.

But the flowers are still out there.

Just like every single tree.

And all the birds are outside too,

except they're in a nest.

And when it's time for them to sleep,

they like the dark the best.

Even though it's dark outside

I know my bike, and toys are there.

They're laying where I left them

with no worry and no care.

When it's dark the world is not so loud.

There aren't a lot of cars.

Then I don't have to speak so loud

when talking to the stars.

And I like things when they're different.

It is nice to have things change.

But if you never try it out at all

you'll always think it's strange.

And then it might seem scary

even though it's really not.

I bet if you give night a chance

you'll like the dark a lot.





* NOTE TO READER: I never wanted the boys to be afraid of the dark. So I have always tried to get them to see the good parts of it. If they seem a little scared I've always said:"See the Dark isn't scary. It's just different." Then I point out all of the things are out side, but they just can't see them. So neither of the boys really have a problem with the dark. I figured the only reason people are afraid of the dark is because they have been told they should be. Anyway, that is where the idea for this came from. (Do realize I still run inside as fast as I can when I am at my Mom's. Because there are Monsters there. The trees behind here house are spooky. Just don't tell my boys that.)

No comments: