Good Advice from Brad

Good Advice from Brad
"Let me think about this for a minute!

Need some Advice?

What gives?

Need help with something? Don't know what to wear on a date? Wonder if you should use a comma or not. Should you dump him? How can I run my best race? Should we pull the plug? How do I keep from getting so nervous before I race? What about this perm? Should I wear socks with these Teva's? Just email me and let me what kind of advice I should give.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Parting advice.

B-Rad-
I read the note below about living it up, and I was impressed with your reply. Sadly, I am a senior, along with several other xc/track kids.... and this means that some of us just aren't gonna be seeing too much of you after graduation. Any parting advice for the seniors?


-Cromar


Well if you are talking about parting you hair, i think I can give a little advice. First you need to decide which side to part on. Being right handed, I naturally want to part my right side, but after looking in the mirror, my hair looks better parted on the left side. So I try to part in on the left side.
There was also a time in my life when I had much, much, much longer hair when I would part almost in the middle. Yep, the 90's were great days for hair fans, or fans of the hair...not to be mistaken with fans that blow air into your hair. It was parted nearly in the middle, though favoring the right side. It's what all the kids on the block were doing.

But sad to say, I have not parted my hair since before I was married to my sweet young bride. For that is the last time I had hair of parting length.
Truth be told, I actually don't even use a comb. I have not used a comb for 7 or 8 years. Why? Beats me. I can do a better job with my fingers I suppose. I've got millions of years of evolution in these babies, while a comb just has a few thousand years of engineering. It is obvious that the primary function of the hand is the comb ones hair.
Upon reading your question again, I think I may have been mistaken. You may not be talking about parting your hair. OS let me try this again.
If there is one thing I think everyone should realize is that life is short. I know you have heard that before, thousands, if not millions of times. But it is true. People spend the first 20 years of their life wishing they were older, and the next 60 or 70 years wishing they were younger. Always remember, Summer vacation is going to come. You next birthday will come. Soon enough you'll be able to rent a car, buy a home, buy whatever you want to, stay up all night with out asking for permission. But don't spend the time you have now waiting for those days. Trust me, the next thing you know you will be 30, 40, 50 and wonder where all of the time went.
We've all seen the insurance commercial that says: "Life comes at you fast." It's true. It seems like last year I was staying until 4 in the morning playing Ping Pong with my wife (then girlfriend) at her college apartment, thinking how great it will be when we are married. Well, being married is even better than I ever hoped for. We have 3 amazing kids that are the light of my life, a Bulldog like I always wanted when I was a kid, the tramp I never had growing up, a wife I love more than anything...even running, I have better friends than I have ever had in my life, and I think life is pretty darned sweet. But every year my kids get a year older. Things come up and we get to spend less and less time as a family. We've got soccer and basketball practices, overnight trips for work, sleep overs are friends houses. I am very happy that I am not looking back on the last 8 or 9 years thinking, you know, I didn't spend enough time with my kids. I knew the trip Amber and I took to Mexico last year was going to come. I didn't waste my time thinking about it and wishing it would hurry up on get there. It has almost been a year since we went.
I did however spend many nights sleeping on the tramp with my boys, building forts in the living room, burying treasure and making maps for them to look for it, family movie nights, coaching soccer games, wrestling, playing tag, shooting hoops, and reading children's books. I know that pretty soon they will want to be hanging out with girl instead of Dad. They won't always need me to drive them to the store, turn the shower on for them, help them find their shoe, show them how to swing a golf club, zip up their coat, help them with their homework, tell them what some word they heard on on TV means, put a band aid on for them, and that is why I love doing it now.

You need to think about the future, don't get me wrong. It will serve you well, to have goals, know where you want to be, and how to get there. Worrying about what needs to be worried about, and forget the rest. You will lose a lot of things in your life, a lot you can get back. But today is something that is gone forever. Spend time with the people you love. Do the things you want to do. Do it today, because once life comes at you, you may never get to do these things again. You may as well live your life as if this is all there is.

So my parting advice: read what I just wrote in the paragraphs above, and you should be able to get what my advice is. If not, shoot me an email and I will spell it out for you.

No comments: