Good Advice from Brad

Good Advice from Brad
"Let me think about this for a minute!

Need some Advice?

What gives?

Need help with something? Don't know what to wear on a date? Wonder if you should use a comma or not. Should you dump him? How can I run my best race? Should we pull the plug? How do I keep from getting so nervous before I race? What about this perm? Should I wear socks with these Teva's? Just email me and let me what kind of advice I should give.

Monday, September 8, 2008

Chased by children.

What do I do about young Africa children who chase me when I run? At first it was fun, they then start to mock you, and call you Kaneniza (famous Ethiopian runner) One little boy even whipped me with his cow whip. What can I do?

-"Chased in Ethiopia" Ben - Ethiopia by way of Morgan, UT

This one is pretty easy, as far as I am concerned. Just run faster! I would think a runner of your ability and age could out run little kids. Are you sure you weren't "jogging"? If you are being called Bekele, I would take that as a compliment as he is one of the most amazing runners to trot down a road on this earth. Your problem may be that you are feeling pressure to be great. Well my son, this is all in your hands. You can blame other people for putting pressure on you, or you can see it for what it really is; they believe in you. If these little Ethiopians didn't think you could run fast, they wouldn't run after you. (They'd walk.)
Would you rather they call you: "Stupid fat white dude who has no chance of beating an Ethiopian" instead? You need to look at the mocking as them saying they love you. I chase people I love all of the time. Sure, they are ALWAYS good looking chicks, and they don't want me following them, and they try to run away really fast, and I end up getting a restraining order against me, but that can't stop my love.
As far as the cow whip goes, I would do one of two things. First thing would be grabbing the whip as it was whipped towards me, wrestle it from his hand and either a: toss it away, or B: whip the little sucker back and say: "Take that you cow whipper". My second thing would be to turn to them, and act like a you are "The great white God", and scare them by saying you are going to have their cow's milk go dry, or keep it from raining in Ethiopia. That should do it.
Good luck! I am sure you will be running "Kid Chased" free in no time. If these things fail, come back to America where no one cares about you, and have better things to do other than chase you when you run.

No comments: