Good Advice from Brad

Good Advice from Brad
"Let me think about this for a minute!

Need some Advice?

What gives?

Need help with something? Don't know what to wear on a date? Wonder if you should use a comma or not. Should you dump him? How can I run my best race? Should we pull the plug? How do I keep from getting so nervous before I race? What about this perm? Should I wear socks with these Teva's? Just email me and let me what kind of advice I should give.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Growing up is hard to do.

Brad-

My parents keep telling me I need to start thinking of what I want to study in college. I have no idea! They say if I don't think up something soon, I will become a Wal Mart greeter (no offense to Wal Mart greeters) and will end up with 27 cats on the side of a road, or worse, living at home. Do you have any suggestions?



Carlee - Kaysville, UT

Don't fret! Your parents are just making sure you are prepared or the future. Always remember, no matter how much your parents bug you, they are bugging you because they want you to be happy.
As far as deciding what to study, I have some thoughts on it. I would suggest being an A-list actress if I were you. The pay is great, and you get a lot of free stuff. You will move to California with all of the other beautiful people, and drive a Bentley. In every interview you will mention Talley and me, and fight back the tears as you tell about the day, with my help, you decided to act. If acting isn't your thing, try growing really tall and playing in the WNBA. Sure, the pay isn't the same, but you get to play a game for a job.
When my acting career didn't take off after not making any movies, or even trying to get in the business I decided school might be my only hope. The best choice you can make is just deciding to go. Once you have decided to go to college, you are already on a road to success...though maybe not the money that acting could have brought in.
Next you need to realize you will probably change your mind on what you want to study, a hundred times. I went from Teaching, to Physical Therapy, to Occupational Therapy, Business, back to teaching, and out not long after. Good thing I had my Awesomeness to fall back on. It's helped me through some tough times, when my Radical Coolness was in a rut.
As you take classes you will find new things that interest you, as well as fit your strong qualities. It's a fun journey.
I would suggest, if you are just testing out the waters with any major, pick something that the classes, if you change your mind, can easily be used for something else. No use taking 10 History of Pottery and Bowl functionalities classes if you don't know if you REALLY want to do pottery. Outside of Generals, those classes won't help you become a Neuro-Surgeon. Focus on your generals until you have a good idea of where you want to take things.
Secondly; what type of things do you like doing? Do you want to be in the business world, or does teaching interest you? Is Nursing something that you would like? If so, go towards that. If you change your mind, that is fine, but at least you didn't spend 2 years taking classes that are not required just because you felt like you needed to pick a major right off.
I may be wrong, but I assume your parents don't really think you should decide your major right now. They probably just want you to start thinking about it, so when the time comes you're not lost and wondering what you should do. You are already ahead of the game since your parents care so much about you. Don't let it bug you. Just read between the lines. They're not saying: "Decide right now." They're saying: "It will be a big help to you if you've at least thought about it before you have to start taking classes."
Of course, if they REALLY cared about you they would have invested in acting lessons, so you could buy them a million dollar home and let them retire.
In closing, I think you would make a great Wal-Mart greeter. I'd skip the cats though. As for living at home, well, it's got it's perks, but it's kind of a drag when you start getting serious with guys.

No comments: